Wednesday 19 March 2008

Reading Notes

I'm in the midst of Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood. It's a book I didn't plan on reading, but since I'm still waiting for The Diviners by Margaret Lawrence to arrive from Amazon it's a book I thought I'd read to pass the time...but it's such a powerful evocation of what it's like to be bullied by fellow children that I feel I must share some of it. From around page 138:
I see there will be no end to imperfection, or to doing things the wrong way. Even if you grow up, no matter how hard you scrub, whatever you do, there will always be some other stain or spot on your face or stupid act, there will always be some other stain or spot on your face or stupid act, somebody frowning.
I didn't think I'd be so moved by Atwood's book, but I'm gripped. My husband is away with work, leaving me with the time and space to explore some of the books on my TBR list, but all I can do is continue to read Cat's Eye, as I think I shan't be free to enjoy any other book until I've finished it. This Atwood book has me under a spell and I shall be writing about this more fully once I can get my head around it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one Atwood I have not read but I think I just got it from bookmooch...no, I got Lady Oracle. Oh well, I suspect I will try Cat's Eye before the end of the year. I've been slowly working through all of Atwood.
Isn't it wonderful when a book grips you like this? I had a similar experience with The HAndmaid's Tale.

Logophile said...

I've not read Lady Oracle or The Handmaid's Tale yet, though Atwood is one of my favourite writers...this book is compelling me to remedy the gaps in my Atwood knowledge! And I agree that it's wonderful when a book grips - I was secretly thrilled to suffer the vagaries of the London transport system this morning, despite being late to work, as it gave me more time in the world Atwood creates!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Atwood fan -- although I seem to have conspired to read most everything she's written!

For me, Cat's Eye is her best. The bullying is frighteningly real ...

Logophile said...

Mark, the bullying is terrifyingly done - the relationship between bully and victim is frightening.

Andi said...

Gah! I set it aside because work and life became too much for me to concentrate, but as soon as I finish Angela Carter's The Blood Chamber, I'm getting back to it. I was reading a library copy, but when I put up my office shelves over the weekend I found a big beautiful copy of Cat's Eye that I forgot I owned! What luck! So I can read it in my jammies over Spring Break. It's first on my "to do" list.

Logophile said...

Andi, what luck finding a copy on your shelves right before spring break! And can't wait to read what you make of The Blood Chamber, Angela Carter is definitely a writer I'd like to read more of...

Anonymous said...

Hmm. The only book that I read by Atwood is The Handmaid's Tale. I definitely see where you're coming from. I agree with verbivore that The Handmaid's Tale had the same punch that you are experiencing right now. I am looking forward to hearing your final thoughts on this book. :]

Logophile said...

Orchidus, glad you enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale as well! It's definitely one I want to read now since Cat's Eye has reminded me how much I love Atwood.