Wednesday 19 March 2008

Index on Censorship TR Fyvel Book Award 2008 - shortlist

I've just been sent the shortlist for Index's 2008 book award, part of the Freedom of Press Awards 2008. All of the titles look interesting:

The Loser by Fatos Kongoli, published by Seren

Holy Warriors: A Journey into the Heart of Indian Fundamentalism by Edna Fernandes, published by Portobello

The Art of Political Murder: Who Killed Bishop Gerardi? by Francisco Goldman, published by Atlantic Books

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, published by Penguin

The Reluctant Fundamentalist has the highest profile but I think The Loser looks interesting. I had spotted it on The Complete Review (see here for the review) and added it to my mental tbr list. I'm now hoping to read it before the prize is announced on 21 April.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this.

The Loser does look good -- I'll route it out and review it on The Book Depository in the next couple of weeks (hopefully sooner).

Seren do some good work -- always worth keeping an eye on them.

Logophile said...

Mark, I've been keeping an eye on Seren - Blue Sky July looks fantastic.

Andi said...

This list looks great! My Argument & Research students are currently discussing censorship, freedom of speech, and intellectual freedom, so I think I'll share this list with them.

Violet P said...

Nice blog postt